How to Reset PRAM or NVRAM #
In the instance that PRAM/NVRAM information has become corrupted, resetting the PRAM/NVRAM may be a necessary solution. We recommend a wired keyboard since wireless keyboards don’t always work for NVRAM resets. If you don’t have one, just use the second method below. Follow these steps to reset the PRAM/NVRAM on your Mac.
Method 1: Startup command #
- Power off your Mac.
- Press your Mac’s power button and then immediatly press and hold these four keys at the same time: ⌘ + option + P + R.
- Continue holding the keys until your Mac restarts for the second time. On older Macs, the chime will sound upon restart, twice in total. On newer Macs, the Apple logo will appear and then disappear.
Method 2: Terminal #
- Close all apps and open Terminal (Finder > Utilities > Terminal).
- Enter sudo nvram -c and press Enter/return. Enter the Administrator password and press Enter/return.
- Enter sudo shutdown -r now and press Enter/return. The computer will now restart, that’s it!